Thursday 20 November 2014

My last Rarenium check

All good things must come to an end. This is my old trusty Shimano Rarenium 2500 which I've proudly pimped up to becoming my most used and trusted reel fighting a good variety of species from small fish to lunkers. It has never failed me and have been thoroughly enjoyable to fish with as it is very light and super smooth with maxed out hybrid ceramic and full ceramic bearings. It's even got some communal Stella parts inside in order for it to take on more bearings.

This will be my last check in with this reel before I hand it to a happy new owner. As previously salt water bashing prepared many moons ago, I've not had any issues with it and therefore didn't really open it up for a routine service.

A thorough strip down and check will be done to ensure that the reel is in tip top operating condition before leaving me for good.

Stripped down, like a DIY kit.


Top left and right, marine grease still covers all internal surfaces of the crank case. Bottom left, main gear's in excellent condition with no signs of wear. Bottom right, worm gear system like new, bearings smooth as silk.


Top left, pinion gear with no signs of wear. Top right, one way bearing's still nicely lubricated without grease spills inside. Spool has no pitting or damages. Carbontex drag washer's in excellent condition, just some well used grease that needs replacement.


Top left, rotor in excellent condition. Top right, spool support clicker and line roller's like new, just need grease top up into the line roller system. Bottom, knob shaft and bearing's still packed with marine grease.


Bottom left, pinion support full ceramic bearings will be replaced with hybrid ceramic variants and packed with new marine grease for longevity and smoothness.


Full ceramic bearings will be kept for my other pimping projects.


Top, reassembly with some marine grease top up. Bottom, line roller system filled with marine grease for a water tight seal against any water intrusion, excess squeezed and wiped off.


Crank handle screw and main gear support bearing's also packed with marine grease for a physical seal against water intrusion.


Complete reassembly with some minor marine grease top up.

My last Rarenium check is now done and completed. I'm proud to say that the extra care put into this reel has paid off very well in maintaining the condition of the reel for long life coming out of various battles without breaking a sweat. I'm sure the new owner will find just as much joy in fishing with this reel as I have.

No comments: